Friday, July 8, 2011

The Separation of Church and State

As indicated, I will occasionally address my passion for life at the intersection of religion and politics. As many of my readers know, I was the Sr. Advisor for the Democratic National Committee during the Kerry/Edwards presidential campaign of 2004. Prior to that short-lived position, I was the Executive Director of Clergy Leadership Network, the first religious-left political action committee. I’m not interested in re-visiting those old debates at this time (i.e. should people of faith form a 527 political committee, should we take “under God” out of the Pledge of Allegiance.) Old news. Send me a personal email or comment if you still want to debate those.

Today I want to continue the conversation about educating our voting public on the separation of church and state. The Baptist Joint  Committee for Religious Liberty is one of my favorite organizations in dealing with these issues. They are 75 years old and remain at the forefront of every church and state issue. There are two articles in their most recent magazine and on their website that are worth re-posting.

The first is Executive Director, J. Brent Walker’s article on five myths about separation of church and state. The second is Walker’s article on “Should American flags be in church sanctuaries.” While I don’t agree with everything that comes out of the BJC, I don’t think there is another organization in our nation today that is doing better work on this issue than they are.  

By the way, they never mind when you donate to continue the fight to keep church and state separated. Donate here. Tell them Grit and Grace sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment